Your shopping cart is empty!
Its February at the weekend and Valentines Day is approaching. Kids love big events and its fun to get them involved and excited. Apart from making cards for the family or for friends, it can be hard to come up with ideas that focus on the kids on Valentines Day. Its nice to recognise how much you love them and here are some ways we have thought of to get them involved. Here are some Valentines Day ideas for kids.
Bake some heart shaped biscuits / cookies! Great fun, Valentines Day ideas for kids that are a treat too. We used this basic recipe:
Pre heat the oven to 180 C/fan 160C/gas mark 4. Mix the butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract and beat to combine.
Sift in the flour and stir or use your hands to kneed it together. Cover a worktop with a dusting of flour and do the same to a rolling pin, roll the dough out and then use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out the cookies / biscuits.
Grease a baking tray, pop them on and bake for about 10 mins. If the dough is rolled out thinner, you may need less baking time, so keep an eye on them. Put them on a wire rack to cool and then decorate them with icing sugar, icing or piped icing messages.
Kids activities are always received well if they include craft! Here are a few crafty Valentines Day ideas for kids:
- Make your own dot to dot. Use numbers to create the shape of a heart or the word 'Love' on a piece of paper and ask your little one to do dot to dot. Depending on their age, its amazing how they don't realise what shape they are making until they have finished it! We tested the heart on a 6 year old and it was a surprise right up until the last line. Something quick and fun, with a warm message.
- Get crafty! There are loads of ideas for Valentines craft for kids out there and we'll be writing up our top ten later this week. Pinterest is a fantastic source of ideas for craft and some kids craft ideas include making paper heart chains to decorate the room (coloured in, painted or in red paper), making hearts with hand painting and cutting heart shapes and letters out of magazines to make a collage.
Heart post-it note fun. We bought some heart shapes post it notes for this, but you can easily cut square post its into hearts and leave little messages dotted around your child's room, playroom and even on the chair they sit at for dinner! Its a lovely game for them to go in search and find them, or just fun for them to come across them every so often. You could also play the 'guess who I am' game with the name of the person you are on a heart shaped post it on your forehead.
- Make a heart shaped dinner. Use spaghetti, or vegetables to create heart shapes on your child's plate at dinner time.
- If you want to spoil them, some gift ideas for kids are a Valentines game for kids like 'Heart Solitaire' or, if your children enjoy computer games, there are lots of sites with free ones like this one here: Primary Games.
- Make up Valentines Day poems together. This is great if your little one is learning about Rhymes. Take it in turns to say a line for a verse and come up with some silly and fun love poems / songs together. A great way to while away the time on a journey somewhere and a lovely Valentines Day idea for kids!
- Play the 'What I love about you' game. Each player writes the name of another player on a piece of paper. Then they write something they love about that person underneath. The piece of paper is folded up and put into the middle of the table. Players do this for everyone else in the game. The papers are mixed up and then everyone takes it in turns to pick a piece of paper up and read it out loud.
Take a looks at our posts on Valentines Activities With Kids for activities and games to get your kids involved and tell them how much you love them this Valentines Day.
The Kids Bedroom Company is a boutique online store focusing on high quality gift ideas for kids, including toys, kids craft kits and girls or boys room ideas.